SaguiItay

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit:
http://itaysagui.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, January 16, 2009

WordprocessingML to the rescue

I've recently found myself in need to create documents out of various sources (other documents, information from ECM system, and so on). I've tried several approaches, including:
  • Word Object Model
  • HTML generation
  • RTF generation
  • Aspose.Words
  • OpenXML

My first try was with the Microsoft Word Object Model, but encountered several bumpers: The complexity of the object model, the requirement of having Microsoft Word installed on the client machine, the non-fluent code - all of those made the whole experience something I'd rather forget.

Next, I tried generating HTML and RTF documents. HTML proved quite simple, but was a bit limited for my requirements, and generating a single-file HTML (MHT) would have required much too manual work to my liking. RTF, with it's specification proved just nasty, for lack of a better word.

At first I was relunctant to use a third part component, such as Aspose.Words. The component provide quite easy to learn, and quite powerful, but was lacking some of the keep requirements (such as formatting tables, embedding objects, etc), and therefore I had to drop it. I'm still planning to use it as a format-converting component, as it allow to easily convert between HTML, PDF, DOC, DOCX and so on, while retaining a high level of fidelity.

Lastly, I tackled the OpenXML SDK. To tell you the truth, I wasn't too happy to go there in the beginning - the SDK seems simple enough, be requires A LOT of manual work with XML - not very user friendly or code-efficient. However, to my surprise, the Markup Language Reference was quite easy to use; the OpenXML format is EXTREMELY powerful (allowing me to do even more than I planned).

Although I am still experiencing some problems in generating numbered paragraphs and such, after a single day of playing with it, I find myself quite comfortable with the OpenXML format, and confident it will suite my needs.

Some useful resources for getting started with OpenXML:

As I continue my research and work, I'll try posting some code samples and guides.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home